If you need some useful travel tips for a honeymoon in Sri Lanka, we’ve got you covered. Formerly known as Ceylon, Sri Lanka has always been one of the most exotic destinations in the world. Sri Lanka is located across the coast of the south-eastern tip of India and separated from the Indian subcontinent by the Palk Strait. Due to it’s shape and geographic location, this island country is often referred to as India’s Teardrop. Another nickname that is used for Sri Lanka is “the pearl of the Indian Ocean”.
Sri Lanka has recently become a very popular holiday destination. Even though it may look like a small island country, Sri Lanka offers an endless list of things to do and places to see. It is often recommended as an ideal choice for newlyweds who are looking for a unique honeymoon away from the crowded tourist hotspots.
If you are considering Sri Lanka as an alternative destination for your honeymoon or just want to visit there as a tourist, our tips and useful information below will help you to be prepared for your exotic getaway.
Useful Travel Tips for a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka:
- Official languages of Sri Lanka are Sinhalese and Tamil but English is spoken by many people in Sri Lanka and you won’t have trouble to find an English speaker during your sightseeing.
- Local currency in Sri Lanka is Sri Lankan Rupee (LKR). ATM machines available in bigger cities and major tourist spots.
- You can exchange money on arrival at the airport or you can use ATM machines to withdraw money but some banks charges commission for the ATM transactions.
- Tipping is usually expected in Sri Lanka. You can tip around 10 percent of the bill in a restaurant but some restaurants usually add a service fee to the bill, therefore it’s best to check before you tip. You can round up your taxi and tuk tuk fares if you received a good service. Service providers at the Hotels and Spas also expect tip for their services.
- In touristy destinations, the dress code is relaxed and you may wear typical summer clothing. However, before entering temples you should cover up a little bit. Nude or topless sunbathing in public places is forbidden in Sri Lanka.
- Pack some medication with you in case you experience food poisoning, diarrhea or headache. Better safe than sorry.
- If you are not that into spicy food, you can ask no spices before ordering.
- Bring a lightweight rain jacket and a pair of comfortable shoes for hiking and sightseeing.
- During your stay in Sri Lanka, always prefer bottled water instead of tap water. Avoid using ice in your drinks because the ice might be made of a poor quality water source.
- Bring a mosquito repellent with you.
- While travelling via train or bus, always keep an eye on your personal belongings. Also be aware of scammers such as people trying to sell you tea, sapphire, gemstone, spice garden tour etc. Always try to organize your tours in advance via reputable agencies or tour guides.
- Bringing sanitary wipes or antibacterial gel with you would come in very handy.
If you have any questions or want to add something to our list, please don’t hesitate to comment below!
If you would like to read more information about the best honeymoon resorts in Sri Lanka or best time to visit Sri Lanka, click here to see our main article.