For many tourists visiting India, traveling through this huge subcontinent is absolutely one of the most unforgettable experiences in their lives. If you are looking for a unique destination for your honeymoon, India might be your answer. Exploring India with your significant other would be an unforgettable adventure. However, like any other destination, India has some unique characteristics. There are few important travel tips for India that you should learn in order to enjoy your trip without any problems.
We have listed 15 useful tips about India, so that you can go to this unique country as fully prepared and learn more about what you should expect.
Most Useful and Important Travel Tips for India
- English is widely spoken and understood in India.
- Local currency in India is Indian Rupee (INR). ATM machines available in bigger cities and famous tourist spots. However, it would be smart to always carry some cash with you because some parts of India are still relying on cash based economy. Also, some small merchants or taxi and rickshaw drivers might not be able accept credit cards.
- Tipping is not mandatory in India but if you liked the service in a restaurant, you can round up amount you are going to pay to the nearest hundred or tip around 10 percent.
- Be discreet when you are tipping. If possible, put your small bills in a separate pocket to easily tip without showing your wallet.
- In India, the word baksheesh refers to tip. Sometimes you may encounter people who offer to help you even though you don’t want. It’s a common trick to get baksheesh from tourists. Keep in mind that you can always refuse such offers at anytime.
- You may give small tips for some services such as the taxi drivers, bellboys, valets, masseurs and housekeepers around 50 rupees.
- Food safety is a big problem in India. Be careful about what you eat and where you eat. Always prefer popular restaurants and avoid eating street food if it doesn’t look hygienic.
- Pack some medication with you to use to feel better in case you experience food poisoning and diarrhea.
- If your stomach is not used to spicy food, don’t push your luck, it’s not for everyone.
- During your stay in India, always prefer bottled water instead of tap water. Before buying bottled water, make sure its plastic seal is not broken.
- Avoid using ice in your drinks because the ice might be made of poor quality water source.
- Bring a mosquito repellent with you.
- Always keep an eye on your personal belongings and watch out for pickpockets in crowded places. If you have hidden or secure pockets, use them to carry your wallet and devices.
- India is a little bit conservative destination. Therefore, always dress modestly and pack your luggage accordingly. You don’t want to draw unwanted attention dressed in miniskirts or low cut tops. In some temples or holy sites, dressing appropriately is a must.
- Bringing sanitary wipes or antibacterial gel with you would come in very handy.
If you have any questions or want to add something to our list, please don’t hesitate to comment below!
If you would like to read more information about the best honeymoon resorts in India or best time to visit India, click here to see our main article.