Vietnam is known for being one of the most affordable destinations in the world. Especially when it comes to cost of food in Vietnam, it is probably the best country in Asia for offering the best value for your money. Many famous fast food brands in the world like McDonald’s or Burger King have failed in Vietnam because they couldn’t compete with the local foods in Vietnam. Let’s discover how much does food cost in Vietnamese restaurants and street food vendors.
How to calculate your cost of food and eating out in Vietnam?
Depending where you prefer to dine, cost of eating out in Vietnam changes. If you are planning your food budget for your holiday in Vietnam, you need to consider what alternatives you have and where you would like to eat. To give you the most accurate estimate, we listed the cost of various dining options in Vietnam:
- Street food prices in Vietnam
- Prices at fast-food restaurants in Vietnam
- Food prices at casual dining restaurants in Vietnam
- Prices at fine dining restaurants in Vietnam
- Supermarket prices in Vietnam
- Tipping etiquette in Vietnam
1. Street food prices in Vietnam
The best Vietnamese dishes are sometimes the cheapest dishes that locals often eat on plastic chairs and folding tables in the markets. Even though Vietnam is a relatively small country, its cuisine is exquisite and surprisingly diverse. Every city, even small villages has a specialty.
From cheapest appetizers like pate bread and sticky rice dishes to more expensive dishes such as vermicelli or pho; Vietnam offers a vast selection of street foods. Here is the list of most popular street foods in Vietnam that you must try during your holiday:
- Pho: From 40.000 to 70.000 VND ($2 – $3) for a bowl of Pho
- Bun cha: Only 30.000 VND
- Banh mi (bread): Between 15.000 VND and 30.000 VND for a loaf of bread with
toppings of your choice.
- Banh xeo: 20.000 VND to 40.000 VND
- Goi cuon: only 5.000 VND to 10.000 VND for a roll
- Xoi (sticky rice): 5.000 VND to 30.000 VND basing on the type of rice and toppings
- Egg coffee: 30.000 VND to 50.000 VND
- Banh gio: 15.000 VND
- Tao pho: 6.000 VND to 10.000 VND
- Banh trang tron: 10.000 VND to 20.000 VND
2. Prices at fast-food restaurants in Vietnam
Despite the tough competition in the market, Vietnam is still the destination of many famous fast food brands. The average prices of a meal for a couple in fast-food restaurants are between 100.000 VND and 200.000 VND. Let’s check out the prices in some of the popular fast-food chains in Vietnam:
- KFC: The cheapest meals are priced around 40.000 VND and the most expensive ones are about 400.000 VND. There often are many discounts promotion during the month.
- Lotteria: Lotteria is Japanese company that offers western style fast food items such as burgers and fried chicken. It has quite similar prices to the KFC.
- Jollibee: Jollibee is a Filipino fast food restaurant chain that is quite popular in Asia. You can think of Jollibee as an ideal fast-food restaurant for families. Prices of meals here are usually around 100.000 VND to 150.000 VND.
- Pizza Hut: 150.000 VND to 200.000 VND for a medium size pizza for 2 people.
- Burger King: Regular sized classic meals of Burger King are priced between 50.000 VND to 200.000 VND in Vietnam.
3. Food prices at casual dining restaurants in Vietnam
If you would like to have a romantic dinner in a cozy atmosphere that will not cost a fortune, casual dining restaurants will be your best options in Vietnam. You can find casual dining restaurant in Vietnam on major streets or inside shopping malls.
Cost of eating at casual dining restaurants in Vietnam is usually between 150.000 VND to 250.000 VND. For couples, it would be somewhere between 300.000 VND to 500.000 VND for a filling dinner.
4. Prices at fine dining restaurants in Vietnam
Many tourists visiting Vietnam fall so much in love with the taste and convenience of the delicious street foods; they ignore more upmarket eateries.
There are plenty of great fine dining restaurants in Vietnam which are perfect for exquisite culinary experiences. If you don’t have a tight budget, you should definitely pamper yourself with amazing foods in Vietnam; cooked with quality ingredients and traditional cooking techniques.
Cost of a nice dinner in a fine dining restaurant in Vietnam is between 1 million VND to 3 million VND for couples.
5. Supermarket prices in Vietnam
If you are going to live in Vietnam for a period longer than a short trip, you will probably need to go for a grocery shopping. Similar to eating out, cost of food in Vietnam at supermarkets is also very affordable. Usually, products from wet markets and convenience stores are a bit cheaper than standard supermarkets. In general, we can say that the cost of groceries in Vietnam are very cheap for anyone visiting from western countries. Below are the prices of most basic grocery items in Vietnam:
- Bread: 10.000 VND to 50.000 VND
- Milk: 20.000 VND to 100.000 VND per bottle
- Eggs: 20.000 VND to 30.000 VND per dozen
- Noodles: 70.000 VND to 200.000 VND per box depending on the brand
- Vegetables: Varierty of fresh vegatables sold in Vietnam cost between 5.000 VND to 10.000 VND per kg
6. Tipping etiquette in Vietnam
In Vietnam, tipping is tipping isn’t mandatory or customary in Vietnam. However, most people working in the service industry do not earn much money and small tips are always appreciated. If you are traveling on a budget, don’t worry about feeling impolite when paying the bill without tips. If you dine at casual or fine dining restaurants, tipping about 5% to 10% is enough. Some restaurants add 5% to 10% service charge to the bill. If the service charge is added, you could always leave some change for your waiter or waitress.
Vietnam is well-known for its cheap and delicious street food. Most of the tourists traveling through Vietnam often find the streets foods enough for them and prefer to try as many different dishes as possible. As you read above, when it comes to cost of food in Vietnam, the budget you need depends on your preferences. No matter where you prefer to eat, we are sure that the authentic Vietnamese cuisine will be your most unforgettable experience in Vietnam.
If you are planning your visit Vietnam for honeymoon, we suggest you to take a look at our main article about honeymoon in Vietnam. If you have any questions or comments, please share with us in the comments section below.