Thanks to its vibrant culture, natural wonders, crystal clear waters and perfect beaches; Thailand is one of the most popular honeymoon destinations in the world. Thailand is located in the Southeast Asia; bordering Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia. The reason why Thailand is a great place for an unforgettable honeymoon is because this fascinating country offers many things at the same time. Pristine and exotic nature, perfect beaches, world famous cuisine, friendly people, spiritual places and world famous thriving nightlife is waiting for you in Thailand.
Thailand welcomes thousand of honeymoon couples from all over the world every year. Tourism infrastructure in Thailand is well-developed. There are many high end resorts and hotels in the country at the service of tourists, no matter what their budget is. You can find the most luxurious resorts with private beaches or boutique hotels with budget friendly rooms; it’s all up to your taste and needs. In this article, we shared everything you should know about before planning your honeymoon in Thailand.
Table of Contents
- Honeymoon destinations in Thailand
- Things to do in Thailand on honeymoon
- Best time to visit Thailand
- Useful information for Thailand
Honeymoon destinations in Thailand
There are too many beautiful and exiting places to visit in Thailand. We suggest couples to plan their honeymoon itinerary in advance and book their accommodation according to the places they would like visit.
Your stay in Thailand will include transfers from one destination to another because, like many other couples, you wouldn’t want to spend your entire honeymoon in a private resort near the beach. In order to fully enjoy your Thailand honeymoon; you should have as many adventures as possible, explore the natural beauties across the country and experience the unique culture in Thailand.
Thailand has plenty of destinations worth visiting but the most popular honeymoon destinations where newlyweds prefer to visit during their honeymoon are; Phuket, Krabi, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phi Phi Islands, Hua Hin and Phang Nga Bay.
Most probably, your honeymoon in Thailand will start in Bangkok as most of the international airlines land here. You can spend first days of your honeymoon exploring the streets of Bangkok, the vibrant and bustling capital of Thailand. Bangkok is the most visited city in the world with 22.7 million visitors in 2018. Bangkok is famous for its vivid nightlife, tasty food, massive markets and all kinds of affordable luxuries. There also very beautiful temples, palaces and museums in Bangkok that you shouldn’t pass up.
Phang Nga Bay and Phuket
Phuket Island is the largest island in Thailand, located on the Andaman Sea coastline of Southern Thailand. It is one of the most famous holiday destinations in the Southeast Asia with many natural wonders to explore such as caves, beaches, mangroves, limestone cliffs and diving spots. There are many high-end resorts in the island, lined up on its beautiful west coast.
Patong is the most famous town in Phuket which is known as the nightlife and shopping center of the island. Phi Phi Islands, Phang Nga Bay and Krabi Province are all very famous destinations that are very close to Phuket. Therefore, many travelers use Phuket as their base to explore these renowned destinations. Area between the Phuket Island and mainland is called the Phang Nga Bay. The Bay is filled with limestone tower karsts, cliffs, caves, lagoons and mangrove forests. Yet, this area is best known for the “James Bond Island” which was used as a location for the James Bond movie “The Man with the Golden Gun”.
Krabi Province, Phi Phi Islands and Koh Samui
On the east of Phuket across the Phang Nga Bay, Krabi Province is another popular beach destination in Thailand with clear waters, white sand beaches, hot springs, paradise islands and countless natural wonders. Famous movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Beach” was filmed in the island of Phi Phi Leh in 1999. Since then, Phi Phi Islands have become incredibly popular. In fact, due to high number of visitors; Maya Bay on the island of Phi Phi Leh was temporarily closed in 2018 until 2021, in order to let the ecology of the bay to recover.
On the eastern coastline of Southern Thailand, Koh Samui Island is another tropical paradise popular among all types of tourists from honeymoon couples to backpackers. It is the second largest island after Phuket and offers plenty of cultural and outdoor attractions.
Last but not least, even though it is not located near the coastline, Chiang Mai is the favorite destination for many travelers visiting Thailand. Chiang Mai is located surrounded by mountains and lush countryside about 700 km north of Bangkok. The city was founded in 1296 as the new capital of the Lan Na Kingdom. Culturally, it is the most significant city in the Northern Thailand with hundreds of temples and historic sites.
Nightlife of Chiang Mai is quieter than other famous cities in Thailand but there are many fun experiences to try in this amazing city. You can taste variety of delicious foods from the Northern Thailand Cuisine, take cooking courses, explore night markets and get the world famous Thai massage. In general, Chiang Mai is one of the cheapest places in Thailand; whether you want to get a massage or explore the dining scene, you can rest assured that your budget will be enough to create unforgettable memories.
Things to do in Thailand on honeymoon
If you think the only thing that you can do in Thailand is lying on the beach all day and getting tan, you are very much mistaken. List of things to do in Thailand is endless. If you are going to choose this amazing country as your honeymoon destination, we suggest you to try at least half of the activities listed below:
- Visit an elephant sanctuary and spend time with elephants while they are bathing
- Visit majestic temples spread throughout Thailand
- Book a wildlife or jungle safari tour
- Enjoy a traditional Thai massage and spa
- Visit one of the floating markets in Thailand
- Take a street food tour and enjoy delicious foods, snacks and fruits
- Try outdoor sports such as trekking, hiking, mountain biking
- Try different kinds of water sports such as scuba diving, snorkeling, kayaking, kite surfing etc.
- Exploring the authentic Thai Cuisine in a nice restaurant
- See a cabaret show and experience Thailand’s renowned nightlife
Best time to visit Thailand
The best time to visit Thailand is between November and February because this is the dry season where the temperatures are very pleasant not extremely hot, which is perfect for all kinds of activities.
Visiting Thailand in March to May has both advantages and disadvantages. This period is the hot season; temperature and humidity starts increasing across the country. However, right after the peak tourist season you can get very good deals for your hotel bookings and plane tickets and enjoy your honeymoon without the tourist crowd in these shoulder months.
From mid-June to mid-October, the weather in Thailand is very unpredictable because this period is the rainy season. Especially the Southern parts of the country experiences heavy rains during this period. Usually, August and September are the wettest months.
Useful information for Thailand
- Official language is Thai Language but in major tourist destinations many people speak English
- The official currency in Thailand is the Thailand Baht
- During your stay in Thailand, always prefer bottled water instead of tap water. Also, be careful when using ice in your drinks
- In general, the street food in Thailand is very safe compared to street foods in many other developing countries. However, it would be wiser to be careful about how your food is cooked. Especially if you have a delicate stomach be more careful. Try to see if the food vendor is following basic hygiene rules.
- Tipping is optional but expected for many services in tourist destinations
- Bring a mosquito repellent with you
- If you are planning to rent a car or motorcycle, be responsible to yourself and other people. Follow all the safety rules and drive/ride safely. In Thailand, it is very common among tourist to have a motorcycle accident due to recklessness and irresponsible behavior
- Do not criticize or insult the Royal Family and avoid political arguments or demonstrations. These actions may cause you to be punished with prison sentence