When most people think of honeymoons, the Maldives is usually the first destination that comes to their mind. This island nation consisting of 1192 coral islands has always been the dream destination for honeymooners. It is truly a bucket-list destination and one of those places which totally deserves its reputation.
Table of Contents
- Honeymoon in the Maldives at a glance
- Honeymoon destinations in the Maldives
- Things to do in the Maldives on honeymoon
- Best time to visit the Maldives
- Useful information for the Maldives
Honeymoon in the Maldives at a glance
The Maldives archipelago consists of 1192 coral islands which are grouped into 26 coral atolls. The Maldives is located in the Indian Ocean, lying Southwest of Sri Lanka and India. Around 200 islands in the Maldives are inhabited and more than 100 islands are home to luxurious resorts hosting over a million tourists every year.
The list of things that make the Maldives a perfect honeymoon destination is very long. It’s one of the most romantic places on earth with unrivalled beaches and crystal clear waters. In the Maldives, you will wake up to a view everyday that looks unreal. You can’t get enough of watching the sunset over the immense ocean in this paradise.
The resorts in the Maldives are all designed around the idea of giving an unforgettable and the most romantic experience to their guests. Whether you choose a water villa or a beach villa, your honeymoon will give you the well deserved relaxation and privacy after your wedding.
Honeymoon destinations in the Maldives
The Maldives has over 100 islands which are turned into luxurious resorts. Usually, one island is occupied by one resort and the only residents on those islands are the hotel employees and the guests. Thanks to this unique situation, Maldivian resorts are providing the ultimate luxury and privacy to their guests. Some of the islands even have the rules to not allow children guests, in order to turn the resort into a romantic paradise.
To find the perfect place for your honeymoon in the Maldives, we suggest you to take a look at the resorts within your budget or choose the resorts according to your liking. There are many different resorts to choose in the Maldives offering different amenities and experiences. No matter which resort you choose, one thing is guaranteed; you will experience the most amazing holiday ever in your life.
Things to do in the Maldives on honeymoon
- Snorkeling and Diving
- Paddle boarding, canoeing
- Cruise on water and watching dolphins
- Having Romantic dinners at the beach
- Romantic Spa break and couples massage
- Signing up for a male city tour
- Take morning walks at the beach or try yoga and fitness classes at the beach
Best time to visit the Maldives
The Maldives is a year-round tourist destination with warm temperatures throughout the year. Of course it has dry months and wet months but there are many activities you can enjoy even when it rains.
The best time to visit the Maldives is the dry season between November and April which is also called Northeast Monsoon. In this period, the weather is perfect for all kinds of activities with lots of sun and blue skies. The busiest season in Maldives takes place from December to March. In this period, the islands attract thousands of visitors around the world and therefore hotel prices are a little bit higher. Keep in mind that since you will be in an island dedicated to your resort, only tourist you will see will be the guests of your resorts. This means that you won’t see thousands of people flocking to the beach.
From May to October, Southwest Monsoon occurs in the Maldives, bringing strong winds and rain. The weather is not severe of course, but it certainly becomes unpredictable in the wet season. During this period Maldives sees fewer visitors and hotel prices decline. If you are on a budget but still want to spend your honeymoon in the Maldives, this time would be good choice for you. Even if it rains, the sea is warm enough for diving and other activities.
Useful information for the Maldives
- Only the private resorts with license can serve alcohol to tourists, bringing any form of alcohol to the Maldives is illegal. Bringing tobacco products without a health warning and bringing pork is also illegal.
- If you are planning to visit the islands inhabited by local people, keep in mind that majority of the population is Muslim in the Maldives. You should avoid showing public displays of affection and showing too much skin is not a good idea in the local islands. However, since the resorts are all located on private islands, you won’t have any problem about what you wear or how to behave.
- When choosing your hotel, there are a few things to consider;
- Do you want to stay in a water villa or a beach villa?
- What kind of amenities and facilities does your hotel offers? Some resorts offers all kinds of water sports and activities in their own area but in some resorts you need to take a boat ride to go for snorkeling or diving.
- How are you going to access you resort from the airport? Before you arrive to Male, you should check in advance whether you are going to need a 20 minute boat ride or a 1 hour seaplane flight to reach your resort.
- How much you are going to pay for meals? Depending on your choice of resort, you can opt for an all-inclusive plan with unlimited food and drinks, the full-board plan with breakfast, lunch and dinner included or breakfast only plan.
- You may want to bring water-proof backpack or a dry bag to protect your camera and other electronics from rain and the sea.
- If you want to capture the amazing moments that you are going to have over and under the sea, bring an underwater camera or a water-proof action cam.